Coronavirus live updates: South Korea cases cross 6,700, Facebook temporarily bans face mask ads
This is CNBC’s 24-hour live blog covering all the latest news on the coronavirus outbreak. All times below are in Beijing time. This will be updated throughout the day as the news breaks.
- Global cases: At least 102,169, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University.
- Global deaths: At least 3,491, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University.
11:51 am: Florida says 2 residents have died
11:00 am: Facebook bans ads, commerce listings selling face masks
Facebook is temporarily banning ads and commerce listings selling medical face masks. The social media giant said it will begin to enforce the temporary ban on these type of ads “over the next few days.”
The policy change comes one day after a company spokesman told CNBC that Facebook will remove political ads posted on its service if they contain misinformation related to the new coronavirus. — Rodriguez
South Korean soldiers wearing protective gear, spray antiseptic solution against the coronavirus (COVID-19) in Gangnam district on March 06, 2020 in Seoul, South Korea.
Chung Sung-Jun | Getty Images
9:40 am: South Korea reports 483 new cases, bringing total to 6,767 cases
South Korea reported 483 new cases, bringing its total to 6,767 cases. There were two more deaths, bringing the total number of deaths to 44. — Bhattacharjee
8:40 am: China reports 99 new cases, 28 more deaths
China’s National Health Commission reported 99 new confirmed cases as of March 6, and 28 more deaths. Of the new cases, 74 were from the epicenter of Hubei, and all 28 of the deaths were from that province. That brings the country’s total to 80,651 confirmed cases, and 3,070 deaths. — Bhattacharjee
7:43 am: Grand Princess cruise ship has 21 cases
The ship will be brought to a non-commercial port, Pence said, and everyone aboard the ship will be tested. He did not say which port the ship will go toward or when it is expected to arrive.
Of the 21 people who tested positive, he added, 19 are crew members and two are passengers. Pence said health officials tested only 46 people aboard the ship.
The ship, which was on a two-week voyage to Hawaii, was ordered to return early to San Francisco, California Gov. Gavin Newsom said Thursday, adding that passengers and crew have developed symptoms. A spokesman for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said that three passengers who were previously on the ship have tested positive, including one who has died. — Feuer
6:52 am: Tilman Fertitta’s restaurant empire losing about $1 million per day in sales
Billionaire Tilman Fertitta his restaurant empire Landry’s is losing an average of about $1 million per day in sales due to the coronavirus.
Fertitta, whose restaurant brands include Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. and Morton’s The Steakhouse, said urban areas and popular tourist locations were particularly affected, and the decline in sales is likely linked to business conferences being canceled across the country.
Fertitta said the coronavirus presents business managers with a challenge but said revenue declines of about 8% to 12% are manageable. “You don’t want to go 20% off. When you get to 20% off in a same-store sales, no matter what business you’re in, that’s when you start getting into trouble,” Fertitta said. —Stankiewicz
6:10 am: New York state coronavirus cases quadruple to 44, thousands under ‘precautionary quarantine’
The number of coronavirus cases in New York state has quadrupled over the last 48 hours to 44, Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Friday. “The number will continue to go up because it’s mathematics,” Cuomo said at a news briefing. “The more you test, the more you will find.” Cuomo used Twitter to revise the state’s case count from 33 released earlier Friday to 44.
The state reported 11 cases Wednesday evening, 22 on Thursday, 33 Friday afternoon and 44 Friday evening — a fourfold increase over the previous 48 hours. There are roughly 2,700 people in New York City under ‘precautionary quarantine’ with more than 1,000 others also in voluntary isolation across the state, Cuomo said. — Feuer
6 am: SXSW canceled due to coronavirus after Austin declares ‘local disaster’
South by Southwest, the annual tech, film and music conference held in Austin, Texas, has been canceled due to concerns surrounding the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak.
Local government officials announced the update at a press conference Friday afternoon discussing the status of the outbreak and events in the city. Austin’s Mayor Steve Adler said he had declared a local disaster in the city and issued an order canceling the conference.
In a statement on its website, SXSW said it would “faithfully follow the city’s directions.”
“We are devastated to share this news with you,” organizers wrote in a statement on the SXSW website. — Graham