Coronavirus live updates: Philippines reports first death as China says virus has killed 304

63
0
Share:

Chinese police wear protective masks as they stand guard on a main road on January 31, 2020 in Beijing, China.

Kevin Frayer | Getty Images

This is a live blog. Please check back for updates.

All times below in Beijing time.

11:15 am: Philippines reports first death outside of China

A man who tested positive for the new coronavirus died on Saturday in the Philippines. In a Sunday briefing, officials in the Philippines said the man had “mixed pathogens” in his system, including “Streptococcus pneumoniae and Haemophilus influenza type b.”

“This is the first reported case outside of China. However, we need to keep in mind that he came from Wuhan, China,” Dr. Rabi Abeyasinghe, a World Health Organization representative in the Philippines said in a statement on Twitter.

10:41 am: Trump and Trudeau discussed outbreak

The White House said President Donald Trump discussed the coronavirus outbreak with Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau in a Friday call. They discussed their countries’ “efforts to monitor, contain, and mitigate the spread of the 2019 novel coronavirus,” according to the White House statement.

10:14 am: Philippines expands travel restrictions

10 am: South Korea confirms 3 additional cases

9:32 am: Australia restricts entry for foreigners who have recently been in mainland China

Foreigners who have recently been in mainland China have been barred from entering Australia, Prime Minister Scott Morrison announced Saturday. He said, however, this is a temporary measure that will be reviewed in 14 days.

This does not apply to permanent residents or Australian citizens. The government said it will require these groups to self-isolate for 14 days from the time of their departure from mainland China. Airline crews are also exempt, as long as they have been “using appropriate personal protective equipment.”

Morrison also said the Australian government has raised its travel advisory for all of mainland China to Level Four: “Do not travel.”

8:03 am: China confirms additional 2,590 cases, 45 deaths

China’s National Health Commission said it confirmed an additional 45 deaths and 2,590 cases through the end of Feb. 1. All of the additional deaths were in Hubei, according to the NHC. It said it has confirmed a total of 14,380 cases and 304 deaths.

6:38 am: Hubei confirms additional 45 deaths, 1,921 cases

Chinese health officials confirmed an additional 45 deaths and 1,921 cases in Hubei province, the epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak. Through the end of Feb. 1, Hubei authorities said they confirmed a total of 9,074 cases, 294 deaths and 215 cured people so far in this outbreak.

All times below in U.S. eastern standard time.

4:27 pm: First person in New York City under investigation for coronavirus

The first person in New York City is under investigation for coronavirus, according to the Department of Health. The individual, who is under 40-years-old, has been hospitalized and is in stable condition after showing symptoms following travel to mainland China. Testing by the CDC to determine whether this is a confirmed case of coronavirus will take at least 36-48 hours, according to health officials.

“An individual with a travel history to China felt unwell and sought help from a medical provider who promptly contacted the Health Department,” said Health Commissioner Dr. Oxiris Barbot.

3:15 pm: Pentagon will provide housing for those who need to be quarantined

The Pentagon approved a request from the Department of Health and Human services to provide housing for 1,000 people who could need to be quarantined after traveling abroad due to the virus, according to a Pentagon spokesperson.

3:00 pm: Apple closing stores in China could impact 1 million iPhones

As Apple temporarily closes its stores in China, roughly 1 million of Apple’s iPhones in China are at risk of shifting out of the March and into the June quarter if the virus outbreak continues into late February, according to a Webush analyst note. However, the firm notes that it would be a less than 3% of Chinese annual iPhone sales at most and would have a negligible impact.

2:00 pm: Virus outbreak still largely centered in Hubei, WHO reports

A World Health Organization report said the outbreak is still largely centered in the Hubei province in China. About 60.5% of all China cases since the start of the outbreak are from the region, and the remainder are from 33 other provinces, regions and cities, according to the report.

The second largest number of cases are from the Zhejiang province. Furthermore, 101 of the 132 cases confirmed outside of China were people who had traveled to China in the 14 days before the onset of the virus.

For more coverage on the coronavirus, read the overnight blog from CNBC’s U.S. team.

— CNBC’s Emma Newburger contributed to this report.

Source: CNBC

Subscribe to Equity Extra

Recieve the Latest Updates on Breakout Stocks

Subscribe to Equity News Report’s ‘Equity Extra’ Alerts list to be the first to learn about Premium Nasdaq Stocks before they Breakout

Share:

Leave a reply